Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Introductions

Howdy! I'm not sure how to or where to begin. Blogging is something relatively new to me. I enjoy reading other blogs but a blog of my very own is a frightening prospect. I hope you enjoy reading!

A bit more about me. I am a software engineer by profession. I started long distance running last year after joining team asha marathon training program hoping to shed few pounds and get fit and healthy once again.  I instantly fell in love with running and over the next 6 months I completed two half marathons, the San Francisco half marathon in July and the Morgan hill half marathon in Oct, with the PR of 2:46 and in the process lost close to 40 pounds. I was ~240 pounds when I started!! I continued running  through the winter and this year and kept on getting fitter. I ran a bunch of 10k's early in the year and then ran Pleasanton half marathon in April and improved my time to 2:09.

Seeing the improved fitness I also started biking and taking swim lessons to add variety to training. I plan to do a century ride (100 mile bike ride), tour of Napa, in 2.5 weeks time and run a couple of more local half marathons and then tackle a full marathon, Marine Corp Marathon, in Oct.

In last 1 year and 3 months I have lost close to 80 pounds. I have enjoyed each and every moment of this journey. While I do love racing in general I find the process of setting personal goals, racing as well as health, and achieving them more interesting and satisfying than anything else. I am far from being done. Heck I am just getting started so tag on as I continue on this journey to get healthier, fitter, stronger and faster !!!

Right when I started running last year. I am probably faking running here for the camera. I could not finish the warm up without walking in it :)
San Francisco half marathon-2012. My first sub 2 hour half marathon. Race report to follow

3 comments:

  1. Dude, your blog is inspiring! Way to go buddy. I am contemplating running myself :) Really happy for the change I see in you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a tough journey but with great outcome, both physically and mentally.

    Awesome job!!! It's very inspired and motivated others.

    Let's make a difference in our world.

    ReplyDelete